Power For All
“24 x 7 POWER FOR ALL” PROGRAM (A JOINT INITIATIVE OF CENTRAL GOVT. & STATE GOVERNMENTS)
Electricity consumption is one of the most important indices that decides the development level of a nation. It is the key ingredient for accelerated economic growth and is considered vital for nation’s overall development. Providing reliable and quality power supply in an efficient manner is an immediate requirement of the day. There is consistent growth in electricity demand due to increase in customer base, changes in lifestyle and consumption pattern which requires continual reinforcement and creation of new electricity infrastructure in Generation, Transmission and Distribution sectors to meet the consumer expectations.
This program is joint initiative of Government of India with all States and Union Territories (UTs) to facilitate 24 x 7 power for all by 2019.
- Reliable 24x7 supply to domestic, industrial and other consumers
- Adequate power supply to agricultural consumers
- To provide access to electricity to all unconnected households in next five years i.e. by FY 2018-19
To meet the above objectives, state specific roadmap for Power For All have been finalized in consultation with the states in the form of PFA documents. The PFA document covers:
- Generation: To ensure adequate capacity addition planning & tie ups for power from various sources at affordable price to meet the projected increase in power demand for future.
- Transmission:Strengthen the Transmission (Inter-state / Intra-state) network to cater to the expected growth in demand of existing as well as forthcoming consumers.
- Distribution: Providing access to all household along with creation of new distribution network or strengthening of existing infrastructure.
- Financial Viability: Financial measures including optimizing investments and undertaking necessary balance sheet restructuring measures to ensure liquidity in the utility finances.To ensure reduction of AT & C losses as per the agreed loss reduction trajectory.
- Renewable Energy: Plan for enhancement of renewable energy sources along with associated evacuation system (Green Energy Corridor).
- Energy Efficiency: Adoption of various energy efficiency measures like replacement with energy efficient agriculture pumps, encouraging use of LED bulbs, solar street lights etc.
All 29 States and 7 Union Territories have signed these roadmap documents to achieve the target of providing reliable, affordable and quality power to the consumers by 2018-19.
Expectation from the State:
States are required to
- Bring to the notice of the central government such issues that require assistance from any central ministry or need coordination between various ministries in sorting out issues.
- Adopt best practices and emulate other States which have come up with innovative approach in providing electricity to every households.
- Explore possibilities of using renewable energy sources in providing electricity to remote areas where extension of grid connection is not viable.
- Approach the central government for assistance in arranging gap funding requirement, if any.
- Constitute a monitoring team to review progress of the projects regularly.
- Appoint a dedicated nodal officer for regular coordination with the Central Project Monitoring Unit at Ministry of Power so that central and State government always remain in sync in fulfilling the mission of 24X& PFA.
- Paperless monitoring of “24x7 Power For All” mission has been planned.
- A Central Programme Monitoring Unit (CPMU) under the chairmanship of Joint Secretary(Distribution) with ED(T&D), REC as convener has been constituted with officials from REC, PFC, NHPC and CEA
- Each State to appoint a nodal officer for monitoring of PFA programme
- Monitoring of PFA Programme is being done entirely through a dedicated web portal.
For more information, visit www.powerforall.co.in