Corporate Social Responsibility Our CSR Initiatives
REC integrates sustainability in its core business and commits itself to conducting its business operations with minimal impact on the environment and natural resources. Apart from our focus on promoting renewable energy projects through our business activities, efforts are made to reduce, re-use and recycle waste material, replenish ground water supply, protect, conserve and restore the ecosystem, reduce carbon emissions and help in greening the supply chain. The company at all times strives to act in environment-friendly manner. We have invested in activities which mitigate the environmental impact of our business operations and have taken up a number of CSR projects to push the cause further.
- Solar Photovoltaic systems have been installed in the campuses of various leading educational institutes in Uttarakhand, West Bengal, Tamil Nadu, Odisha and Karnataka with the motive to reduce carbon footprints and dependency on conventional sources of energy.
- Contributions have been made towards the conservation of the biotic diversity and the rejuvenation of the river Ganga to control non-point pollution. Waste treatment and disposal plants have been set up. Several community based activities have been taken up to reduce pollution through human interface.
- LED based Solar Street Lightingsystems have been installed to make electricity accessible. This has added to the welfare and security of the villagers in various remote villages in the states of Arunachal Pradesh, Uttar Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh & Rajasthan.
- Solar lanterns have been distributed in poorly electrified villages of Assam and Odisha to replace kerosene and paraffin lanterns with environmental friendly solar lighting devices.
- Solar micro grids have been provided to bring clean and affordable lighting to around 1400 rural households in need of reliable lighting service in the poorly electrified villages of Odisha and Jharkhand.
Impact of the Programmes
- Reduction in usage of non-renewable energy
- Reduction in power consumption
- Reduction in carbon footprint and expenditure towards power utilization
- Use of sustainable, clean and efficient energy system in villages
- Reduction in dependency on kerosene and paraffin lanterns, thereby reducing air pollution